THE LINE-UP for the 8th Edinburgh Traditional Building Festival has been announced with all the organisers and presenters donating their time to ‘Celebrate Edinburgh’s Traditional Buildings’.
The traditional building festival is normally a part of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, but in light of Covid-19, this year’s event is online for all to enjoy.
As the event was completely sold out last year, the organisers – members of the Edinburgh Traditional Building Forum, a division of the Scottish Traditional Building Forum – are excited by the opportunity to open their ‘doors’ to many more to virtually attend.
Something for everyone
The lead organiser of this year’s event is Tyler C. Lott, Scotland Officer for the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.
Tyler said “I am delighted to be involved once again in the delivering the Edinburgh Traditional Building Festival. It has been a pleasure to work with such a talented group of professionals to organise and produce another amazing event that brings helpful advice and solutions for our built environment.
“This year, we are presenting a wide range of topics that will provide something for everyone interested in the built environment whether they’re a practitioner, a building owner, or a traditional building enthusiast.”
The Edinburgh Traditional Building Festival was the brainwave of the Edinburgh Traditional Building Forum when a member of the Forum attended the Festival of Politics. As he walked up the Royal Mile from one of the shows he saw so many people taking photographs of the buildings that he thought “if they can do a Festival of Politics, we can do a traditional building festival”. This was raised at a Forum meeting and the next year the Edinburgh Traditional Building Festival was up and running and has been ever since.
The Forum is grateful to Kevin Stewart MSP, Minister for Local Government, Housing, and Planning for once again opening the Edinburgh Traditional Building Festival.
Virtual Festival Schedule
24 August 2020 – 11:00
- Festival Opening Remarksby Kevin Stewart, Minister for Local Government, Housing, and Planning
- Granville Place, Stockbridge – Una Richards of Scottish Historic Building Trust
24 August 2020 – 14:00
- Energy Efficiency Improvements to Traditional Buildings– Jessica Hunniset, SPAB Scotland Guardian, SPAB Lethaby Scholar, and District Surveyor for Properties in Care in the West Central Region of Scotland for Historic Environment Scotland
25 August 2020 – 11:00
- The Building Stones of Edinburgh– Martin Gillespie, Team Lead of Building Stones for the British Geological Survey
25 August 2020 – 14:00
- Lime Mortar– Scottish Lime Centre Trust
26 August 2020 – 11:00
- Traditional Stonemasonry– Andy Bradley, SPAB Fellow and stonemason joined by Architect SPAB Lethaby Scholar Martin Haddlington
26 August 2020 – 14:00
- Newhailes Estate, Musselburgh – Emma Rose Berry, LDN Architects
27 August 2020 – 11:00
- Roof Leadwork– Steve McLennan of National Federation of Roofing Contractors
27 August 2020 – 14:00
- Roof Slating and Tiling– Graeme Millar of National Federation of Roofing Contractors
28 August 2020 – 11:00
- Timber and Sash & Case Windows – Oliver Beatson, SPAB Fellow and Joiner for Historic Environment Scotland and James Innerdale, SPAB Lethaby Scholar and architect
28 August 2020 – 14:00
- Property Repair Seminar– Jo Parry-Geddes, Jackie Timmons, James Innerdale and more!