CONSTRUCTION SCOTLAND held a traditional building skills demonstration outside Scottish Parliament last week (28 – 29 May 2019) in a bid to promote construction careers to students.
The event was part of Construction Scotland’s Inspiring Construction programme and was attended by pupils from Firhill High School, Glasgow Gaelic School, Braes High School and Inverkeithing High School.
The days were sponsored by Members of Scottish Parliament; Elaine Smith MSP, Gordon Lindhurst MSP and Sandra White MSP, and was attended by other MSPs.
The importance of traditional building skills in Scotland was highlighted through a variety of activities based around the roofing and construction industries, including:
- Roof Slating by National Federation of Roofing Contractors
- Stonemasonry by Edinburgh College and Stone Federation GB
- Decorative Plastering by City of Glasgow College
- Painting and Decorating by Dundee & Angus College
- Infrared Scanning by University of Edinburgh