SIG Trading, trading as A Steadman and Son, has been fined after a worker’s hand became trapped in machinery.
On 21 October 2015, Matthew Hook, an employee of the steel cladding firm, was using an electrically-powered folding machine to bend metal, when his hand became trapped between the jaws of the machine. The injuries sustained resulted in Matthew requiring amputation of parts of four fingers on his left hand.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the company had failed to ensure workers only used the folding machine when the guards were in place, to prevent them reaching dangerous parts whilst it was in operation.
SIG Trading Ltd of Adsetts House, Sheffield, pleaded guilty to breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act and has been fined £600,000 with costs of £23,593.83.
Speaking after the hearing, inspector Leona Cameron said: “This incident was entirely preventable. The risk of crush injuries from carrying out this type of work were known by the company. However, the practice had been allowed to continue and now an employee has suffered life-changing injuries.
“Employers should ensure that the work equipment they provide is suitable for the task being performed and is safe to use.”