TO celebrate outstanding brick and ceramic building projects from around the world, the world’s largest brick manufacturer Wienerberger is inviting architects, architecture critics and journalists alike to enter projects into the Wienerberger Brick Award 2020. Entries are open from 7th January 2019 until 9th April 2019.
Initiated in 2004, the Wienerberger Brick Award is a biennial international architectural award presented to remarkable examples of modern and innovative brick architecture. In 2020, Wienerberger will host this internationally recognised awards event for the ninth time with a prestigious ceremony in Vienna.
For these highly prized awards, Wienerberger is looking for impressive projects featuring ceramic building materials, whether that is facing bricks, clay blocks, clay roof tiles, clay façade panels or clay pavers. The use of Wienerberger products is not a necessary condition of participation. Submitted projects can be newly constructed, refurbished and converted buildings, can include new or reused materials, and must have been completed in 2016 or later.
Participants are asked to fill out an online form comprising of basic project data, a short informative description of the project and building plans, as well as uploading photos.
After the submission period ends on the 9th April 2019, a panel of architecture journalists and critics will narrow down the number of entries to 50 nominated projects for the Wienerberger Brick Award 2020. These nominations will be published in the highly sought-after Brick20 book.
The Wienerberger Brick Award 2020 comprises of five categories:
- Feeling at home: single-family houses, semi-detached houses and small housing projects of high architectural quality that provide comfortable, healthy & sustainable living spaces.
- Living together: multi-family houses: innovative residential solutions taking into account the trends and challenges of urbanisation such as scarcity of space, social challenges and new living concepts.
- Working together: comfortable, aesthetic and functional commercial buildings, offices and industrial buildings.
- Sharing public spaces: comfortable, aesthetic and functional public buildings for education, culture, healthcare, public places and infrastructure projects.
- Building outside the box: innovative concepts and ways of using brick, use of new construction technologies, special brickworks, custom-made bricks and new ornamentation.
An international jury of architects will select each category winner as well as the Grand Prize winner in time for the Spring 2020 awards ceremony. The Grand Prize winner receives a prize fund of 7,000 Euros, with each category winner receiving 5,000 Euros.
The Wienerberger Brick Award team received nearly 600 fascinating project submissions from 44 countries for the 2018 awards.
Jonathan Sergison, jury member of the Wienerberger Brick Award 2018, commented: “The projects in the Brick Award show the very versatile ways brick is used as a contemporary form of construction and that brick architecture is widespread everywhere in the world.”
To take a look at past Wienerberger Brick Award winning projects and to submit an entry for the 2020 awards, visit www.brickaward.com. The closing date for project submissions is 9th April 2019.